Frequently Asked Questions
- Can you tell me more about the dog and send me pictures?
- What breed(s) are in this animal?
- Do you ever get any purebreds?
- Are these dogs spayed/neutered?
- I need to re-home my dog or I found a stray animal, can you take it?
- Where is your shelter?
- What are your hours?
- How can I meet the dogs?
- If I am interested in a particular animal, am I guaranteed to adopt the animal?
- Once my application has been approved, can I take the puppy home with me the same day the initial viewing has been arranged?
- Can I adopt a pet as a gift?
- Are the dogs good with children, other dogs, or cats?
- What are your adoption fees?
- What is included in the adoption fee?
- What forms of payment will be accepted?
- Can I get a tax reciept for donations?
Can you tell me more about the dog and send me pictures?
As we rescue from many other rescues and shelters, we initially get very little information. All the information that we know about these dogs is in their profiles. We update these profiles regularly. All their pictures are posted; unfortunately we are unable to take additional pictures to send to you until we have them in foster care.
What breed(s) are in this animal?
We rarely know for sure the exact breed of the dog. We make a visual assessment when we rescue the dog, and based on that try and determine the breed(s). We will adjust when we get to know the dog further, but we can not make a guarantee.
Do you ever get any purebreds?
Yes, however, we cannot estimate timing of when we get purebreds into our rescue. We work with many shelters and rescues and rescue dogs on an as needed basis.
Are these dogs spayed/neutered?
Yes. If the dogs are not spayed or neutered upon entering our rescue, they are spayed or neutered upon being seen by one of the veterinary clinics we work with. All dogs must be spayed and neutered as we believe this is required to eliminate the pet overpopulation problem we currently fight. PMRF covers this cost. Sometimes dogs are adopted so quickly after entering our rescue that we haven't had a chance to spay or neuter them yet. If this happens, we will send the adopter a requisition to have the surgery done at one of our partnering veterinary clinics and Pawsitive Match will be billed for it.
I need to re-home my dog or I found a stray animal, can you take it?
Depending on the situation, there are a number of steps involved. Please contact us directly to enquire and we will do our best to help.
Where is your shelter?
We are made up of a group of very dedicated volunteers. All of our dogs are cared for in foster homes and most of our volunteers give their time to Pawsitive Match on top of maintaining full-time employment. Pawsitive Match Rescue Foundation does not have a shelter facility but the majority of our foster homes are in the Calgary area.
What are your hours?
Again, as we do not operate out of a physical shelter location, we do not have set hours. Our foster volunteers do their best to accommodate potential adoptive families in respect to a meeting. We do have an emergency phone number found on our contact page. Please be respectful as to the hours you are calling as you are calling a volunteer at home. The best way to contact us is through email as we have a number of volunteers that check email regularly.
How can I meet the dogs?
Viewings are by appointment only and every attempt is made to fit the times into everyone's individual schedules. The first step in the adoptions procedure is to fill out the adoption application, located on the adoptions page. You will be contacted by a Pawsitive Match volunteer once your application has been reviewed. We do not give out the addresses of our foster homes, until the application is fully approved by our adoptions committee. You can speed this process up by filling out our application thoroughly and avoid leaving blank fields. We will respond as soon as possible.
If I am interested in a particular animal, am I guaranteed to adopt the animal?
Finding the best match for both our adoptable doggies and our potential adopters is very important to us. Many dogs receive a number of inquiries and a home is chosen based on what the committee feels is the best match. Please understand that this does not mean that you would not provide a proper home but that the dog is placed based on what we believe to be most suitable.
Once my application has been approved, can I take the puppy home with me the same day the initial viewing has been arranged?
No, you won't always be able to take the the dog with you once you've been approved for adoption (same day). It is the hope of Pawsitive Match that the potential forever family will take a night to sleep on it just to ensure that the right fit has been found for both the family as well as the furry addition. Adopting a new pet is a significant decision that will change your life for many years to come.
Can I adopt a pet as a gift?
We do not adopt any of our dogs as gifts.
Are the dogs good with children, other dogs, or cats?
Every dog is different. We include all the information we do know on the Petfinder site. However, it is best to talk to the foster home about the dog, as they are best able to provide information.
What are your adoption fees?
Adoption fees range from $350 - $500. All puppies up to 6 months of age range from $450 - $500.
What is included in the adoption fee?
- Distemper complex vaccine and boosters up to the date of adoption. Bordetella (kennel cough) vaccinations, subsequent boosters and annual vaccinations ARE NOT included. Please budget the cost of these when planning to adopt.
- Rabies vaccine for any dog over 3 months of age. Any puppies under the age of 3 months cannot be vaccinated against Rabies and this cost will be the adopters responsibility. Annual vaccinations ARE NOT included. Please budget the cost of these when planning to adopt.
- Spay/Neuter: Dogs will all be spayed/neutered prior to adoption. If you have questions or concerns please email email@example.com
- Microchip: Dogs will be microchipped when you adopt them. The microchip information will be sent to you shortly after adoption. You may also consider purchasing a customized name tag from PetSmart.
- Snap 4 test and treatment: If your dog is from Mexico or the southern states, we will test for tick-borne diseases (Erlichia, Heartworm, Anaplasmosis and Lyme disease). A follow up treatment is needed 3 months after initial testing which will not be covered by PMRF after the dog is adopted.
- Tick/Flea treatment
- Transport to Calgary: If you live outside of Calgary, you will need to make arrangements to transport your new dog to you, including paying for this. In some case we may be able to assist with transport outside of calgary but we cannot guarantee.
- All other additions to these basic procedures or extra vetting is not covered, such as dew claw removal. Please discuss these procedures with your vet.
What forms of payment will be accepted?
Payments are accepted as cash, Visa or Mastercard, email money transfer, or credit card payment via PayPal. Payment needs to be completed prior to taking your adopted dog home.
Can I get a tax reciept for donations?
We are a registered Canadian Charity and can provide you with a charitable receipt. Charity Registration #84618 7680 RR0001
We recommend that you enroll your puppy in obedience training as early as possible. From the moment you bring a dog home you can work on and enforce good manners. Most behaviors can be modified, we recommend that you consult a professional trainer and take the time to work with the dog, don't wait until you are frustrated to the point of not wanting to keep your pet. A well behaved dog can make the difference between a keeping your dog or him/her winding up as one of the many unwanted animals in shelters across Canada that are euthanized each year. As an adopter of a rescue dog you qualify for many great discounts with the trainers we work with. Please ask your adoptions processor for details.
Please call us if circumstances dictate that you must find a new home for a Pawsitive Match Rescue dog. No fees are refunded if you have to re-home your dog after our 2 week trial, but we will make every effort to work with you to find another suitable home.