Volunteer for PMRF
Volunteers do not necessarily have the time; they just have the heart. ~Elizabeth Andrew
Volunteer of the Month - Wendy
I have volunteered as an adoptions processor for nearly 3 years now and have successfully completed 200 pawsitive adoptions (to date). I do a lot of my interviews while my husband is watching hockey and our dog is napping. We adopted Koosis, our terrier X, 5 years ago from PMRF and she's a handful - there are never enough walks or truck rides in a day. She barks at horses & cows; shrieks at cats, squirrels and deer but is the most loving companion for my husband and I. Her tail wags so hard when we (or visitors) come home that I fear it could fall off.
I love talking with prospective adopters and listening to their stories when they talk about previous pets or how they've always wanted a dog of their own and now the time is finally right to bring a pet into their family. I've adopted dogs to many different families but some of my favorites have been adopting to seniors that are looking for a companion to share the "golden years" with. I also volunteer on the fundraising committee and enjoy raising money for our dogs and cats. Bottle drives are one of my favorite fundraisers or selling 50-50 tickets at Spayghetti in March (get your tickets early 'cause it'll be a sell out this year!)
Thanks for choosing me as Volunteer of the Month - I can't imagine my life without the friendships I've made and PMRF dogs being a big part of it.
Pawsitive Match is 100% volunteer based and therefore we rely on our volunteers to operate. We greatly appreciate any and all of the help we receive.
You can help by volunteering your time and energy with us by fostering a dog, fundraising, advertising, training, grooming, transporting, helping out the adoption and foster committees, or whatever else your talent may be. We always need the help of people who can help bake, sew and build.
We can always use help from WestJet employees to transport dogs from Los Angeles and various other locations. We would also be grateful for any buddy passes donated. If you are able to help, please send us an email.
We are always looking for flight escorts flying with Westjet, Air Transat or Alaska Airlines to help dogs get to (or across) Canada to begin their new lives. By escorting a dog, you're not only saving that precious life, but the one who can be saved because of the freed up space at the shelter! Visit our Flight Escort page for more info.
Apply to Volunteer
For more information on the positions currently available or general volunteering questions, please contact the Volunteer Team at email@example.com. If you've made the decision to volunteer with us, great! Please fill out and submit the application below or download an application and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Listed below are the main groups within Pawsitive Match. Volunteers are always needed to care for the dogs at our temporary holding facility (Cambrian), foster, transport or help out at events. You do not necessarily need to commit to fulfill a full position and all of the duties required, and there may be more than one person assigned to each position.
- Adoption Committee
- review of adoption applications
- communication with potential applicants
- coordinating meet & greets
- reference checks
- home visits
- Foster Committee
- review of foster applications
- communication with potential foster homes
- home visits
- follow ups
- Medical Committee
- medical requisitions for vet visits
- pet insurance administration
- keep track of incoming medical records
- ensure dogs receive required medical attention
- Cambrian Committee
- help care for dogs currently being housed at our vets office in the central NW
- walk, feed, water & play with dogs
- daily shifts available are: 8am, 12pm (noon), 7pm
- Volunteer Committee
- communicate with all new volunteer applications
- maintain volunteer spreadsheet (input volunteer info etc..)
- communicate with volunteers when various committees request a certain need
- Supplies/Donations Committee
- work with Supplies & Donations Coordinator to keep track of supplies in foster homes
- possibly store some supplies
- help with pick up or drop off of supplies
- request donations when needed
- Transport Committee
- vet trips if foster cannot take a dog
- donation pick ups
- transport dogs to events
- airport runs
- transport dogs & supplies to/from Edmonton
- Marketing Committee
- online advertising of events, dogs available for adoption
- creating and distributing posters
- event help (set up, organize, marketing)
- Overnight and Emergency Fosters (short term only)
- provide temporary care of dogs/puppies upon arrival into our rescue