Cambrian Volunteer of the Month (December)- Teri
I have volunteered for many different organizations. It started with my mom and I volunteering on Christmas day when I was 9, feeding the less fortunate. I was hooked on volunteering from that day on! I have spent a lot of my years volunteering for charities that support research and a cure for different human conditions. While I still believe these are important organizations, I needed a change. I needed to volunteer in a place where it had more happy endings than sad. I found myself browsing the web and came across PMRF. The PMRF family welcomed me with open arms and I have to say, it’s a great fit!
I am currently volunteering at Cambrian, on the transport team, and I volunteer my business hours to photograph some of the dogs that come into the rescue. The joy I get while spending time with these wonderful creatures is boundless. Not only do I make new furry friends every time I take a shift, I get to meet some truly amazing people who also volunteer along with me. I enjoy every minute and I am so grateful to be blessed with an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of these dogs.
Volunteer of the Month (December) - Danielle
My entire life I have volunteered with animals and had a passion for those who were in bad situations. I started fostering with Pawsitive Match in 2012 because I felt I wasn't stable enough to offer a forever home to someone. From there I started to help in many other areas and have furthered my passion. Pawsitive Match has allowed me to surround myself with other animal lovers burning with the same passions and desires, and I've never felt like a part of such a wonderful community. Watching my foster dogs evolve into who they truly are and helping people find their perfect match really brightens my day. I've always had a soft spot for sad puppy eyes, and as a volunteer I get to watch the sad puppy eyes fill with confidence and comfort, which is something I think a lot of rescue dogs have forgotten. There are so many ways to help animals in need, and the happiness and feelings of success are truly so addicting. There is nothing better than animal rescue.
Volunteer for PMRF
Volunteers do not necessarily have the time; they just have the heart. ~Elizabeth Andrew
Pawsitive Match is 100% volunteer based and therefore we rely on our volunteers to operate. We greatly appreciate any and all of the help we receive.
You can help by volunteering your time and energy with us by fostering a dog, fundraising, advertising, training, grooming, transporting, helping out the adoption and foster committees, or whatever else your talent may be. We always need the help of people who can help bake, sew and build.
Traveling to Mexico?
If you are planning a trip down to Cabo San Lucas, La Paz or Cancun, Mexico, you could help by rescuing dogs first hand! If you are able to help transport dogs back to Canada, email us and we can provide you with more information. You don't have to organize anything - we coordinate volunteers at the airports at both ends of your trip who manage all of the details.
As well, we often collect dog crates here in Calgary that belong to the shelters we work with. When dogs are flown up, they are flown up in crates, however, it is difficult to get these crates back to Mexico. With your help, we can ship disassembled crates and supplies back to the shelter allowing us to help save more dogs. Crates are extremely difficult to find in Mexico, and if they are found, they are very expensive for the shelter to purchase. If you are able to help, please send us an email.
We can always use help from WestJet employees to transport dogs from Los Angeles and various other locations. We would also be grateful for any buddy passes donated. If you are able to help, please send us an email.
Apply to Volunteer
For more information on the positions currently available or general volunteering questions, please contact the Volunteer Team at email@example.com. If you've made the decision to volunteer with us, great! Please fill out and submit the application below or download an application and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Listed below are the main groups within Pawsitive Match. Volunteers are always needed to care for the dogs at our temporary holding facility (Cambrian), foster, transport or help out at events. You do not necessarily need to commit to fulfill a full position and all of the duties required, and there may be more than one person assigned to each position.
- Adoption Committee
- review of adoption applications
- communication with potential applicants
- coordinating meet & greets
- reference checks
- home visits
- Foster Committee
- review of foster applications
- communication with potential foster homes
- home visits
- follow ups
- Medical Committee
- medical requisitions for vet visits
- pet insurance administration
- keep track of incoming medical records
- ensure dogs receive required medical attention
- Cambrian Committee
- help care for dogs currently being housed at our vets office in the central NW
- walk, feed, water & play with dogs
- daily shifts available are: 8-9am, 12-1pm, 6-7pm
- Volunteer Committee
- communicate with all new volunteer applications
- maintain volunteer spreadsheet (input volunteer info etc..)
- communicate with volunteers when various committees request a certain need
- Supplies/Donations Committee
- work with Supplies & Donations Coordinator to keep track of supplies in foster homes
- possibly store some supplies
- help with pick up or drop off of supplies
- request donations when needed
- Transport Committee
- vet trips if foster cannot take a dog
- donation pick ups
- transport dogs to events
- airport runs
- transport dogs & supplies to/from Edmonton
- Marketing Committee
- online advertising of events, dogs available for adoption
- creating and distributing posters
- event help (set up, organize, marketing)
- Overnight and Emergency Fosters (short term only)
- provide temporary care of dogs/puppies upon arrival into our rescue